Sunday 3 May 2009

Bedding plants

The photo I said I would take this weekend:

Berberis, Leopards Bane, parrot tulip and yet another clump of that red/green grass!

In the local town there is a wholesale plant provider who rents a school car park for two mornings over each weekend and sells bedding plants, and a few shrubs, to us public at close to wholesale price. Not a huge choice, but sufficient for my needs as there are only a few holes that I like to fill with bedding plants each year.

My standard purchases were made: Impatiens for gaps in the pots by the front door and also for the deep shade under the yew tree, Bidens to grow through the Juncus and some blue bush Lobellia for the very narrow bed under the hedge.

I did fall for a couple of fuschias as well, but selected ones that had enough non flowering growth that I could take 4 cuttings from each. At a starting point of £1.50 per plant, if all cuttings take it will be 30p per plant! A good description of how to take fuschia cuttings can be found here. This is more or less how I took my cuttings - I put them around the edges of a pot filled with a compost and perlite mix, 3 cuttings to a pot and I didn't use rooting hormone compound.

Nicotiana to grace the back of the border by the house, some scarlet pelargoniums (hmm, think I've given myself a challenge) and some double petunias that claim to be scented completed the haul.

All are in the Greenhouse as we are still getting the odd night of low temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters