Friday 27 February 2009

Planning time!

Glorious sunshine today. Weather forecast for the weekend is mixture of sunshine and cloud with potential for rain overnight on Saturday.

The local garden centre has one of it's regular 10% off days next week. I missed the one in February so must make sure I make this one to get all the seeds I need for the year at a reduced price. So a pleasurable task for an evening over the weekend is to work out what I will be planting in the vegetable plot for the year so I have my list ready for a lunchtime outing!


Corkscrew rush - 'Juncus effusus spiralis'

This evergreen rush is meant to be grown in a boggy area. In my garden it is happy at the bottom of the pond wall even though it gets semi baked by the paving during the summer. There are 3 of these plants in this planting pocket. They are on their own in the winter when their quirky form is admired from the kitchen window. This spring I have dwarf wallflowers planted amongst them (you can just see them in the photo) and I will probably repeat the summer planting of trailing Bidens from last year. Normally a plant for hanging baskets, Bidens is a delicate yellow flowering plant that scrambled through the stems of the Juncus to great effect, flowering well into autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters