Monday 23 February 2009

Spring Fauna and Cover Ups

Fauna: The first bumble bee of the year bumping up against the kitchen window.

Cover Ups: ended the day yesterday putting the cloches (metal hoops covered with plastic to make a tunnel) onto the middle section of the vegetable patch. This will allow me to make an early sowing of, at least, lettuces and radishes in a few weeks time.

Rhubarb forcer (put in place early Feb)

Peaked inside the rhubarb forcer. Although I couldn't actually hear the rhubarb growing, as you can if you go to the growing sheds in Lincolnshire, the pink stems are developing nicely. Haven't a clue what variety it is. My clump is from a root division from one my parents had many many years ago.

Will order the main 'cover up' this week. This is compost created by the local recycling company from garden waste. It makes an excellent mulch as well as soil improver and remarkably cheap, as well as eco-friendly. My own compost will be dug into the part of the vegetable patch designated as bean growing area this year (once I have dug up the remaining parsnips) and mulch the base of the fruit bushes/canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters