Sunday 19 April 2009

Sowing and planting in April

Weather today started off very unpromising - strong cold easterly wind - but developed by early afternoon into what was forecast, a sunny day with light wind.



Tiarella 'Braveheart' newly planted into the space cleared amongst the spurge


Tiarella is a member of the Heucheura family. I have much admired the small spikes of flowers in other gardens in previous years and now, finally, can admire them in mine!

In the greenhouse

Last weekend I sowed:

- Sweetcorn Conqueror. I tried these last year and they weren't happy with the wet windy summer we had. Seeds left over, so I am trying again and hope for better sucess.

- Courgette Defender F1

- Runner Bean 'Scarlet Emperor'. Sown in the cardboard inners from loo rolls

- 'Summer flowers' a freebie from a UKTI event I attended. A picture of a sunflower on the front but the seeds inside (embedded in a paper circle) look too small. Always nice to have a surprise... I think.


Today I sowed:

- Cosmos. I am taking part in a Gardeners Which? trial for this variety of Cosmos and also for a new mini squash (to be sown at the end of the month).

Just after the start of April I also planted summer flowering bulbs/tubers into large pots

- Dahlia Canary Fubuki - Height 130cm/52" - a tall yellow variety

- Dahlia Purple Haze - height 70cm/28" - picture shows more fushia pink than purple

- Dahlia Chic - height 40cm/16" - 'peony' yellow flowers with dark foliage

- Eucomis Bicolour, the Pineapple Lily - height 50cm/20" - flowers July to Sept - not frost hardy (as for dahlia really)

- Tigridia Canariensas - height 30-60cm/12-24". Plant 3" deep, 2" apart. Needs lifting and storing overwinter

- Leucojum Astivum Gravetye Giant (Summer Snowflake) - height 30 cm/12". Bought these bulbs in the autumn and never got round to planting them (they should be in flower now). Hope they will forgive me and flower next year!

In the flower borders
Today: Tairella - see above! Saxigrage in front of the Daylily 'Sunnybells'

In the Vegetable Patch

One row of Spring Onion 'White Lisbon' and another of Carrot 'Nigel F1 Hybrid' between the red onions. I have room for a couple more rows of each.

Two half rows of Beetroot 'Boltardy' and Turnip 'Golden Ball' in between the parsnip rows.

I will update this post over the next 2 weeks so I have one place to refer back to for April!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counters